Why galvanized steel doesn’t rust quickly?
Wouldn’t it amaze you to know that galvanized steel has been in existence for over 2000 years? Yes. Galvanized steel has been used by human civilization for over two millennia because of its ability to resist rust for a very long time. We should understand that galvanized steel doesn’t rust for a long time but it doesn’t mean that it is permanently rust proof.
The length of time for which galvanized steel resists rusting depends on the process and thickness of the protective zinc coating on one hand and on the type of environment, on the other.
There are several factors that can rust and corrode galvanized steel
- When the relative humidity is in excess of 60%
- When the air or water is high in sodium chloride content
- Wet environment
- Rising temperature combined with humidity and industrial pollution
- Exposure to hydrogen sulphide produced from volcanoes, natural gas, sewer gas
- Pollution caused by sulphur dioxide in urban areas
- Exposure to strong alkalis
- Combination with plaster and cement with a high proportion of chlorides and sulphates
- Acid rain
- Mosses and lichens
- Contact with copper, pure iron or steel can lead to corrosion of galvanized steel Galvanized steel can combine well with concrete, mortars lead, tin, zinc and aluminium.
Galvanized steel is by far the most corrosion resistant material on the planet . The addition of a coat of paint to galvanized steel helps it to withstand corrosion for an even longer period. Research shows that hot dipped galvanized steel lasts longer than electroplated galvanized steel when it is intended for prolonged use outdoors.
Let us explore why the galvanization of steel increases its ability to withstand rust.
A study shows that galvanized steel kept in wet environments will last around 10 years. In places of 100% relative humidity, it can last without rusting for 34 years while it can last for 211 years on average in places with relative humidity below 60%. A building made with galvanized steel may not need any maintenance for over 50 years.
Galvanized steel is most resistant to rust corrosion and that is the main reason why it is used for construction projects, vehicles, nuts, bolts, nails and everything that is exposed to the outdoors.
Galvanized steel is the oldest building material used by humans that is still in active use. However, the technology for creating environment friendly galvanized products is changing with time.
Apollo Coastguard products are made of hot dipped galvanized steel coil that is specially designed to meet the needs in the coastal areas. They are mainly used for the purpose of weatherproof roofing that can last for several decades. Please visit https://aplapollo.com/ for more information about our products.